Find on the forum:
any terms  all terms  Advanced Search

RSS 2.0
Browse posts: Unanswered | Mark all read

« »
Loading Nucleus FAQ ticker...
RobertH
Nucleus Newbie

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:41 am   Post subject: I cloned, so where are the files?

I'm utterly lost here. I installed Nucleus CMS, and I cloned the default skin. I gave the cloned skin a name. Now I go to the skins directory so I can access the cloned skin files and modify them, but the files are nowhere to be found. Where are they?

I look in the "skins" directory, and I have the same old atom, default, grey, rsd, and rss2.0 directories. Where is the directory for the skin that I just cloned?

RobertH
Nucleus Newbie

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:56 am   Post subject:

Here's where I get stuck. This is from http://www.roelgroeneveld.com/nucleus/skins_templates_howto.html#basicchanges

===
It is always a good idea to start by cloning the original default skin and default & detailed templates. That way you will not be working on the skin that is controlling your current site design. Here's how:

On the Nucleus Management page, select Edit Skins, now clone the default skin. In the list of skins, you will now see a skin called cloneddefault.
Now edit the cloneddefault skin, and change the following settings:
change 'cloneddefault' to a new name, for example 'blueskin'. (NOTE: you can only use alphanumeric characters in the skin name)
change the description to something suitable.
take care that the radio button next to Include Mode is set to 'Use skin dir'
change the Include prefix field to 'blueskin'.
Click on �Change these settings�
Go back to Skin Overview, and back to Nucleus Management

See, that's the problem. There's no place called "Skin Overview." How can I "go back" to what does not exist? What are you ACTUALLY talking about?

ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:19 pm   Post subject:

When you clone a skin, you clone the parts stored in the database, which could be the entire skin. However, most skins store repeated parts of the skin in files that are included by the skin. So to complete your clone, you will need to make a copy of the folder for the cloned skin (assuming it is the default skin, make a copy of the skins/default folder and contents and rename the folder to skins/<new name of your cloned skin>). Then in the admin area, when you edit the cloned skin, you will need to change the Include Prefix field to be your new skin folder name. If you cloned the templates, too, you will need to modify places in the skin (on each part and in sidebar.inc) where a skin variable has a template for a parameter, i.e. the blog skin variable in the Main Index skin part...
browse the list of available plugins.

Check out my plugins

RobertH
Nucleus Newbie

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:09 pm   Post subject:

Thank you so much! Makes perfect sense now that you explain it. Very Happy

Page 1 of 1