Some of you are probably familiar with my personal blog, Leng-Lui.info. Leng-Lui.info was first started back in September 2002 as the culmination of my junior high school years of tinkering with static HTML pages and moved over to Nucleus exactly 2 years later. Since then, I've been very happy with the flexibility of Nucleus, exploring all the different ways you could do things with just the core installation and all the wonderful worlds of possibilities that plugins open up. It took me a while, but I got my head around the whole skins and templates concept and even ported a few skins to Nucleus.
I think one of the best things about Nucleus is its friendly and respectful community which really recognises people who contribute. You don't have to be an expert in PHP, CSS/(X)HTML or whatever, you can just be someone who wants to help! I went from being a complete newbie to being a forum moderator, then to running the Skins site, the Skins contest and the FAQ site, because the wonderful people who looked after the Nucleus community then saw that I wanted to help. As with any community, people's lives change and they move on to other things but there's always new people who come along. And one of the best things about the Nucleus community is that there is no "barrier" to becoming a key part of the community; there's no secret club or initiation rituals or hoops you have to jump through, just as long as you have the willingness to help and you are respectful of others. It means the community can keep growing over time.
I've been re-assessing a lot of things lately and made some big decisions. As a result of those decisions, I've decided to redo Leng-Lui.info from scratch, using Wordpress. Some of the reasons are:
- I'm no longer a high school girl who doesn't think before she writes. There's is an increasing trend of how things we say online when we're not thinking clearly can come back and hurt us professionally. For prudence, I'm taking this opportunity to start again with a fresh slate.
- I want to stop blogging aimlessly and start blogging with a purpose. Right now, I look back over some nearly 6 years of blog posts and I think the blog name "Diary" I picked was very apt. It is very much a diary, rambling on generally about nothing much in particular, with only a few posts which drew interest. I want to write more on the topics which drew interest and stop writing about those things which don't.
- Over the years, while we've gained a lot of new Nucleus users, we've also lost a lot of Nucleus people - including key developers and community members (e.g. moraes, ketsugi, danielck are those who come to mind) to other blog systems (e.g. Wordpress, Drupal, etc). I want to find out why and to see if there's anything we do here at Nucleus. I still believe that anything we want to do, can be done with Nucleus.
I'll be using this thread to chronicle my experience and I hope it will be useful - or at least interesting! - reading for those who are wondering how Nucleus stacks up against another blogging system.
This section will get updated with links to each significant post.
- Overview: Site configuration
- Round 1: The Installation Process
- Round 2: Customising Appearance
- Round 3: Customising Functionality
- Round 4: Customising Everything Else (next topic)
What Do You Think?
Feel free to post if you think there's something else I should investigate during this experiment or if you have some thoughts to share on my findings and suggestions for Nucleus.